Thursday, May 26, 2005

What am I doing up at this hour?

Well, the French Market Bag is finis! I still love the colors, and overall, I'm quite pleased with it. Alison, thanks for your help with my transition to the bag body--couldn't have done it without you!

I did the base on circulars (now I'm an Addi Turbo addict), and I made the body 10" instead of 8". It really wasn't a difficult pattern.

The night before last, I put it through a 10-minute hot water wash and then let it dry, but it didn't seem quite tight enough. I will say, however, that the texture change in the initial wash was cool. I checked it every few minutes and the difference in picking up a mass of wet knitting at 6 minutes and the far-more-solid mass I handled 2 minutes later was amazing.

My dear, non-knitting husband agreed with me that it needed a bit more time in the water, so this evening, I nonchalantly popped it back in for 6 minutes and completely ignored it the whole time. Must be similar to what happens when you have your second child--I became very confident that it'd be fine, and indeed it is.

Take a look, photos are here!

1 comment:

Luscious Gracious said...

Your bag looks great!!! Good work for the first felting experience. It does get easier, and I totally agree with that second child syndrome thing. I couldn't stand for my first to go to preschool for even part of the day 3 days a week, but with number two, I was all "You are going 5 days a week, 8 hours a day, and it is all in French! Good luck!". She was three. (My favorite quote of all time is by the Breeders...."Motherhood means brain freeze" Do you agree?) Again, great bag,
Kiki