Tuesday, August 21, 2012

What I saw

I can't really compete with bb's commuter posts as I don't have a stealth-worthy phone cam, nor her gift for prose. Still, today was a good day, at least as far as the non-work time is concerned, and I thought I'd share.

Morning, walking to bus stop.
  • a brown bunny who hopped away and disappeared as I approached
  • fewer than normal amounts of ginormous spiders and related webs (urk)
  • the large scarecrow in the community garden nearby, now headless, just in time for fall
  • two more brown bunnies,  one enthusiastically dining on old thistle blossoms
Morning, on bus en route to the city across the lake
  • several scullers on the water
  • one great blue heron, posing gracefully in the shallows
  • some humorously over-chic window displays at the flagship Nordstrom's (still affectionately called "The Bon" by long-time residents)
Afternoon, on bus returning to city wherein lies my domicile and familial unit
  • another great blue heron, artfully displayed near a beaver dam 
Afternoon, walking home from bus stop
  • a large, white cockatoo strolling along fence top as his people milled about (this at the house where the owners have thoughtfully cut a vertical opening in the corner of the fence so that the dogs can see what they are barking at) (the dogs, seemingly aware of this unusual advantage, do not abuse the privilege and bestow a few warning barks, then go about their other business.)
  • the largest flock of bushtits I have seen in some time. (I love watching them witter about and hunt bugs, gregariously calling as they move from branch to branch to tree to bush. They're only a little larger than a hummingbird, being about the size of your big toe with a tail and tiny beak.)
  • family of three, picking blackberries (which threaten to engulf us). The wee girl told me that they plan to make a pie, and I told her I'd just used some to dye a shirt and some yarn.
  • big winged termite (blech)
  •  man +dog +empty lot + chuckit + tennis ball = happy
  • yet another brown bunny -- are you keeping count? That makes four
  • hummingbird
  • lady coming home, unloading two smallish, happy dogs from the car as man exits house.  
            she: you're going in, then     
            he: yes, I'll probably not be home before 10:30 or so
          (they cross paths, she coming, he going, and exchange a kiss)   
           she: mmmmm, you smell good

Finally arrive home to my dearies. Girlie cast as Stephano in Tempest production ("I get to play a drunk and sing terribly at the top of my lungs!"). My redhead programming the wunnerful microscopic cell phones we got for our Europe trip last year for his folks to use in Spain soon (jealous much? why yes, yes I am). Mr. Spot getting wobbly in the legs, always happy to see me come home at the end of the day.

 


No comments: